6.15.2007

Countdown to ecstasy!

    
Well, finally got the keys today after a couple days of massive cleaning. The gracious and scholarly building manager, Mark Cornley, allowed me the keys a couple weeks before my lease downbeat. Until now, this unit has been an uninhabited storage space for the building owner's business. Needless to say, there was a lot of accumulation - both of random industrial items and, well...DUST! During the cleaning, i was able to procure a few useful items: including two barrels of wheels and casters - which will come in handy, as I wish to have much of my furniture, et. al. on wheels - and a table saw which will be invaluable during the build out. If you compare the above photos to that from my first post, you'll notice that it's beginning to feel a bit more like a spacious 1100 sq. ft. of loft space. The drab colors don't reflect the light well, so I expect the ambient light to increase markedly once the walls get a fresh coat and the concrete floor is treated with a wet-look sealer. By the time of my next post, I'll have razed a 7'x17' storage build-out at the far end of the loft. This area will become the Kitchen, Bath and loft areas. A water line and vertical sewer main that will serve these amenities run behind a wall in the corner of this storage space.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Inspiring my friend! I can see it clear.

tuey said...

Brett,

I am so impressed and psyched for you. You are going to do it!!! Karen and I just looked at your pictures and we love it; more importantly, I know that this is a dream - in the process of coming true - for you.

Please, Please, Please wear ear plugs when you work with your tools...your ears are golden!

Keep us posted - we will follow your creation from start to finish.

Best Wishes,

tuey, karen and cedar

Unknown said...

Looks like plenty of space for a 6'3" relative to crash for a night or two...

Laura Jansen said...

its going to be so good! please call if you need any help bashing, breaking, tearing down, hammering or sawing. I am good at all of the above and you could use all the cheap labor you can get.